Websites are a Waste of Money! We hear this from many business owners and not just in Melbourne. Further questioning however, usually elicits the experiences which underpin this belief:
“My website was on the front page of Google but then disappeared”;
“My website looks dreadful on my daughter’s iPad/iPhone”;
“I haven’t made a single sale from our website – if you don’t count my Mum buying something to make sure it was all working…”
It’s experiences like these that have made business websites a ‘grudge’ purchase. Business Owners agree to engage a web designer to build a site without engaging in the process. What seems to be missing from the sales and purchase discussions is the fact that a website is a living and breathing thing.
So, when you commission a new website to be built or an existing site to be revamped, make sure you factor into your budget the cost of maintaining that site. I don’t mean hosting – that’s another ongoing cost. I mean tending to the actual website:
– Ensuring all software is regularly updated – hackers will quickly identify and exploit vulnerabilities in outdated code.
– Taking regular backups and storing them separately from your website files.
– Regularly update content – usually involves doing some market research to see what is currently trending in your market.
– Scanning and monitoring your site for malware.
– Attending to the database housekeeping (if your site is built on any of the popular CMSs).
– House-keeping of client comments and responding where appropriate.
– Checking for broken links and fix them.
– Analysing analytics reports so you know how to improve your content in the next cycle of updates.
– Doing all the things the search engines expect you to do (currently) if they are to list you on their front pages.
In our increasingly mobile world, a wholly responsive website is essential to business success. Your clients need to be able to access your company’s information, products, and services wherever and whenever they want. With an Apps & Sites’ responsive web designs, your website can adapt to whichever device your customer uses, be it PC, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
The process of acquiring a fresh, modern, effective and responsive website is simple:
Fill in our website evaluation questionnaire;
We will take it from there.